Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy for Serious Mental Health Conditions
From pioneering treatment developers, this book describes recovery-oriented cognitive therapy (CT-R). This evidence-based approach empowers people given a serious mental health diagnosis such as schizophrenia to build a better life in their chosen community. CT-R provides innovative strategies to help individuals shift from a "patient" mode to an adaptive mode of living and take positive steps to pursue valued aspirations. Vivid case vignettes and sample dialogues illustrate ways to access the adaptive mode with people experiencing negative symptoms, delusions, hallucinations, communication difficulties, self-harming or aggressive behavior, and other challenges.
Translation Rights Sold: Portuguese
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. CT-R Model of Transformation and Empowerment
1. Introduction to Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy
2. Mapping Recovery: Developing a Plan for Transformative Action
3. Accessing and Energizing the Adaptive Mode
4. Developing the Adaptive Mode: Aspirations
5. Actualizing the Adaptive: Positive Action
6. Strengthening the Adaptive Mode
II. Empowerment for Common Challenges
7. Empowering When Negative Symptoms are the Challenge
8. Empowering When Delusions are the Challenge
9. Empowering When Hallucinations are the Challenge
10. Empowering When Communication is the Challenge
11. Empowering When Trauma, Self-injury, Aggressive Behavior, or Substance Use is the Challenge
12. Individual CT-R for the Sole Provider
13. The CT-R Inpatient Service
14. CT-R Group Therapy
15. Families as Facilitators of Empowerment
Aaron T. Beck, MD, is the founder of cognitive therapy, University Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, and President Emeritus of the Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Dr. Beck is the recipient of awards including the Albert Lasker Clinical Medical Research Award, the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Psychological Association, the Distinguished Service Award from the American Psychiatric Association, and the Sarnat International Prize in Mental Health and Gustav O. Lienhard Award from the Institute of Medicine. He is author or editor of numerous books for professionals and the general public.
Paul Grant, PhD, is Director of Research, Innovation, and Practice at the Beck Institute Center for Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy (CT-R). With Aaron T. Beck, he originated CT-R and conducted foundational research to validate it.
Ellen Inverso, PsyD, is Director of Clinical Training and Implementation at the Beck Institute Center for Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy (CT-R). A codeveloper of CT-R, she has created transformative CT-R programming for psychiatric inpatient units, programmatic residences, schools, and community teams.
Aaron P. Brinen, PsyD, is Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Drexel University College of Medicine, where he directs a center for the dissemination, development, study, and practice of recovery-oriented cognitive therapy (CT-R). A codeveloper of CT-R, Dr. Brinen worked to formalize the treatment and adapt it for individual and group therapy settings.
Dimitri Perivoliotis, PhD, is a psychologist at the VA San Diego Healthcare System and Associate Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). At the VA, he is the coordinator of the Center of Recovery Education.
(C) Copyright 2020 The Guilford Press
Guilford Publications, Inc.
Founded in 1973, Guilford has built an international reputation as a publisher of books in mental health; psychology, psychiatry, mindfulness, CBT, DBT, and more.View all titles
- Publisher/Imprint Guilford Publications, Inc. / Guilford Press
- Publication Date December 2020
- ISBN/Identifier 9781462545193
- Publication Country or regionUnited States
- ReadershipProfessional and Scholarly
- Publish StatusPublished
- Original Language AuthorsEnglissh
- Copyright Year2020
- Page size8" x 10.5"
Guilford Publications, Inc. has chosen to review this offer before it proceeds.
You will receive an email update that will bring you back to complete the process.
You can also check the status in the My Offers area
Please wait while the payment is being prepared.
Do not close this window.