12 Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD
Over decades of research and work with thousands of families, Russell A. Barkley has become a leading authority on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in kids and teens. He has learned what a huge difference parents can make in supporting their children's success—as well as how overwhelming it can be. This concise guide presents 12 key parenting principles for dealing with common behavioral, emotional, and school challenges. By cultivating a mindset of acceptance and compassion—together with an understanding of the executive function deficits of ADHD—you can strengthen your loving connection with your child and help your whole family thrive. Filled with practical suggestions and quick-reference lists and tips, this is the perfect book to read cover to cover or pick up any time you need extra support.
Translation rights available
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Understanding ADHD
- Principle 1. Use the Keys to Success
- Principle 2. Remember That It’s a Disorder
- Principle 3. Be a Shepherd, Not an Engineer
- Principle 4. Get Your Priorities Straight
- Principle 5. Mindful Parenting: Be There and Be Aware
- Principle 6. Promote Your Child’s Self-Awareness and Accountability
- Principle 7. Touch More, Reward More, and Talk Less
- Principle 8. Make Time Real
- Principle 9. Working Memory Isn’t Working: Offload It and Make It Physical!
- Principle 10. Get Organized
- Principle 11. Make Problem Solving Concrete
- Principle 12. Be Proactive: Plan for Difficult Situations at Home and Away
- Conclusion: Putting It All Together
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, ABPP, ABCN, is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine. Dr. Barkley has worked with children, adolescents, and families since the 1970s and is the author of numerous bestselling books for both professionals and the public, including Taking Charge of ADHD and Your Defiant Child. He has also published six assessment scales and more than 280 scientific articles and book chapters on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, executive functioning, and childhood defiance, and is editor of the newsletter The ADHD Report. A frequent conference presenter and speaker who is widely cited in the national media, Dr. Barkley is past president of the Section on Clinical Child Psychology (the former Division 12) of the American Psychological Association (APA), and of the International Society for Research in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. He is a recipient of awards from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the APA, among other honors. His website is www.russellbarkley.org.
(C) Copyright 2020 The Guilford Press
Guilford Publications, Inc.
Founded in 1973, Guilford has built an international reputation as a publisher of books in mental health; psychology, psychiatry, mindfulness, CBT, DBT, and more.View all titles
- Publisher/Imprint Guilford Publications, Inc. / Guilford Press
- Publication Date October 2020
- Orginal LanguageEnglish
- ISBN/Identifier 9781462542550 / 1462542550
- Publication Country or regionUnited States
- Publish StatusPublished
- Copyright Year2020
Guilford Publications, Inc. has chosen to review this offer before it proceeds.
You will receive an email update that will bring you back to complete the process.
You can also check the status in the My Offers area
Please wait while the payment is being prepared.
Do not close this window.