Accomplished instructors and intelligence practitioners Beebe and Pherson have created a set of twelve robust, class-tested cases on events in foreign intelligence, counterintelligence, terrorism, homeland security, law enforcement, and decision-making support. The case studies are designed to give analysts-intraining a hands-on opportunity to apply structured analytic techniques to tackle real-life problems. Each case delivers a compelling narrative and a set of step-by-step instructions that make teaching and learning as effective and efficient as possible.
- Questions at the start of each case challenge the student to think critically and help the students bring the case into focus;
- Carefully crafted narratives provide the right amount of detail to give a realistic sense of the complexity and challenges of the case;
- Recommended readings at the end of each narrative allow room for further research
- Sections entitled "Structured Analytic Techniques in Action" frame the analytic tasks and provide step-by-step instructions for applying three to fi ve analytic techniques in a series of exercises for each case study;
- Two hundred photos, maps, figures, tables, boxes, and technique templates support analysis and instruction; and
- A matrix of the cases and techniques used in each cases augment the annotated table of contents and provide students and instructors an all-in-one view of the contents.